mercoledì 13 febbraio 2013

BOOK REVIEW: Nets And Lies

Title: Nets And Lies
Author: Katie Ashley





Description:

 Always awkward in her 5’10 frame, Melanie Reeves finds her saving grace through basketball. Not only is she the varsity team captain, she’s the pride of Coach Thompson, who holds the keys to a college scholarship. Melanie has also found 'courtly' love with Will, Coach T's handsome, ball-playing son. When Melanie is on the court, everything is perfect....until she is forced to face an opponent who doesn't play by the rules.

Jordan Solano's power lies in her beauty and sex appeal. Never afraid of breaking the rules, she engages in a scandalous flirtation with the school's married basketball coach. But the flirtation quickly turns into accusation, and Coach T's job and reputation are placed in jeopardy after Jordan charges him with rape. Jordan's own reputation has the school administration unwilling to believe her. That is, until she makes a startling claim - she's not the only victim.

Suddenly, all eyes are on Melanie, and it isn't for her amazing free-throws. A man's job, a girl's reputation, and her boyfriend's entire world now rest in Melanie's hands. She has to decide: keep her secrets and protect her future, or put an end to the lies...and lose everything.

*This book is New Adult and contains mature subject matter. TRIGGERS for rape survivors and sexual abuse victims*


Review:


I'm having one hell of a hard time reviewing this book.
It was one of the most difficult books I've ever read.
Especially the beginning. And I mean the part that will be the focus of the story.
I've read many times about rape. But I never had such a hard time like like with this.
It was seriously painful.
I read the whole scene frozen, wide-eyed, shocked, heart beating crazily fast, my gut hurting and I just couldn't shake the feeling of disgust and rage off me. Disgust and rage toward Couch T. I just wanted to beat him, torture him and kill him slowly for what he did to Melanie. In that instant I was Melanie. And it was Hell on Earth. And after the deed, I despised him more for what he said to her. He deserved to suffer and die slowly and painfully.
The whole book was so sad and painful. I cried so much, my eyes and head hurt. I cried for Melanie, I cried for Will. I cried for Melanie and Will as couple.
I'm not sure I can find any more words to describe this book. I guess you just have to read it to understand and appreciate it.
I liked Mel, she was one hell of a tough girl, and obviously crazy in love with Will; Will, so sweet and caring and totally in love with Mel; Jordan, with all her flaws and weaknesses, and yet with a big heart and very sensible. Though I didn't always agreed with all their behaviours/actions/reactions. I even liked Nick. He was so sweet and so very much a keeper. I even liked Dr. Leighton. An awesome therapist.
I was happy of how the story ended for Mel and Will, and for Jordan and Nick.
Not really satisfying the end for Couch T, but I guess you can't have everything.
Recommended. But you're warned: you'll cry your eyes out!


***4 stars***
 

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento