martedì 10 maggio 2011

BOOK REVIEW: Forbidden

Title: Forbidden
Author: Tabitha Suzuma





Description:

Neglected by their alcoholic mother and having no choice but to look after their three younger siblings, seventeen-year-old Lochan and sixteen-year-old Maya haven't had what you'd call a normal childhood. In many ways they're the parents of the household: they refer to their brothers and sister as "the children", they're there to tuck them in at night and make sure there's food on the table, and for the last few years they've been spending their Christmas money on making sure it's a happy time for the little ones. They're partners; two people clinging to each other in their isolation from the world. Nonetheless, when they begin to realise their feelings for each other are not those that siblings should feel for each other, they're both thrown into a world of confusion, longing and hurt.


Review:

I've just finished to read this book and I'm still speechless.... I don't know what to say, because the end left me baffled and with my mouth hanging open....

I really liked this book, I've read it all in one go, and I couldn't put it down! I was enthralled...

I could se why Maya loves Lochan so much, and I could also see why he loved her so much too.

I liked Lochan from the beginning, maybe for he's shy like me... Well, I'm not that shy, but I remember not talking much at school as well when I was younger... And somehow I understood him...
He's charming and intriguing in his shyness... He's sweet and caring... He's everything you would want to find in a boyfriend...

Maya is simply so solar... She's got always a smile, especially for Lochan or for Willa... She's so sweet and passionate... I liked her!

Before reading this book I didn't know how I would have felt about this kind of relationship... an inchest... A Forbidden Love between sister and brother....

But I found myself getting more and more into this forbidden love... I found their Love so beautiful... So complete... They're sister and brother, friends, soulmates... They are much more than siblings...

Maybe someone might feel revulsion at the thought of sister and brother loving each other like this... also physically... Maybe someone might find it sick...
And before reading this book I thought that maybe I too would have find it disgusting...
But the way the author write about this forbidden love, the way she describes it and every scene... She makes it feel right... She took the subjet with such sensibility, taking small tactful steps...
And I found myself gettin more and more involved with this desperate, sweet, and yet passionate, forbidden love....

This is a Love born from years of struggles, and a special nearness very different from the ordinary life normal children (siblings in this case) would live. They've grown up living like husband and wife, not much like brother and sister. I think that's why they found themselves feeling this kind of Love for each other. This isn't a dirty, kinky story about brother and sister having a dirty - forbidden - affair. This is the story about two people discovering a Love so powerful, it goes beyond the conventional relationship between siblings, beyond the laws, beyond everything.
They struggle really hard to stay apart, to be just like every other sisters and brothers, to just be friends... But their love is too strong, it's so powerful, they can't stay apart...
It's like breathing... like their hearts beating... If they're apart they can't live...

This book was full of so much emotion, it was so heart-breaking! I ached with them, loved with them, suffered with them... almost cryied with them... I was tense all the time, I couldn't relax, I expected at any moment that something bad would happen...

It was painful and yet so beautiful...

And even though the end left me a little disappointed and also speechless...I have to say that I really loved this book!

***4 stars***

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento