mercoledì 30 gennaio 2013

BOOK REVIEW: The Catastrophic History of You and Me

Title: The Catastrophic History of You and Me 
Author: Jess Rothenberg





Description:

Dying of a broken heart is just the beginning.... Welcome to Forever.

BRIE'S LIFE ENDS AT SIXTEEN: Her boyfriend tells her he doesn't love her, and the news breaks her heart—literally.

But now that she's D&G (dead and gone), Brie is about to discover that love is way more complicated than she ever imagined. Back in Half Moon Bay, her family has begun to unravel. Her best friend has been keeping a secret about Jacob, the boy she loved and lost—and the truth behind his shattering betrayal. And then there's Patrick, Brie's mysterious new guide and resident Lost Soul . . . who just might hold the key to her forever after.

With Patrick's help, Brie will have to pass through the five stages of grief before she's ready to move on. But how do you begin again, when your heart is still in pieces?


Review:

I really liked and enjoyed this book from the start. It hooked me and didn't let me go until the end.
I just couldn't stop reading, couldn't put it down. I had to go on reading and know what would happen next, how it would end. What Brie's future was. What Brie and Patrick's future was. Because I knew there had to be something between them. And I knew there was a reason for Brie's recurring nightmare.
And I just love soulmates themed books!

So, what about the characters?
I can't say I really liked Brie. In fact, I haven't liked her for about half the time. Even though I could understand her reasons, and I could feel how she felt - betrayed, hurt, heartbroken (litterally), damaged - I had to agree with Patrick at some point, that she had gone too far.
And I didn't like how she treated Patrick when he only wanted to help her. And love her. And have her back. I was really disappointed and sad and hurt for him. He didn't deserve that treatment, those words. Though I understood her soul was damaged and that she didn't remember, and her heart was broken and didn't want to love anyone anymore because she was afraid of the pain. But still... Patrick had always been so sweet and caring and helpful with her. Always been there for her when she needed him, even if she didn't ask him anything.
Yeah, you got it right. My favorite character was Patrick. I fell in love with him almost immediately. He was just so sweet, charming and adorable. And fun. He was really good guy. An awesome person. And very mature.
I admit I liked Patrick and Brie together. They were fun and cute.
The book was fun and cute. And at times sad. I actually shed a couple of tears during my reading. It was touching on a very deep level. And I like that in a book.
I didn't like Brie's father much. I was actually disappointed of his behaviour. He was breaking Brie's heart a second time.
I liked jack for the little I've known of him.
I liked Brie's three friends - Sadie, Tess and Emma - they were very sweet and loved Brie immensely.
I also Liked Jacob in the end when I understood his reasons for what he did/said to Brie. He was very sweet and it was obvious he loved her too. Just in a different way than a boyfriend should love a girl.
Larkin creeped me out a little, and even after what she said to Brie and what happened to her in the end, I couldn't get myself to like her. I just disliked her a bit less.
Hamloaf, the dog, was awesome! Probably my favorite character after Patrick. He was cute and fun and he loved Brie very much. Hamloaf I mean. We've already made clear the Patrick loved her.
So, all in all, a good and enjoyable read!


***4 stars***

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento